This is my body and I am in control of it. My body is under the leadership of my mind and I am in control of my mind, therefore, I am the master of my mind and my body. This is a positive affirmation that would generally probably work to keep me positive and motivated but it somehow lost its power during the time I needed it most.
My pregnancies were both actually a “surprise” in the sense that though I was doing what would lead to pregnancy, I wasn’t actually at that moment doing it for such results. Lol, it sounds funny, but I know you get what I am saying… But it happened, right? So I blessed the Lord, stayed positive and enjoyed my second pregnancy to the fullest. I was positive, like no negative weapon formed against me was going to prosper. Ohk, no negative weapon except for TIME!
The day I opened my Mediclinic Baby App and it read, “You are 37 weeks pregnant”, it was like that weapon struck deep into my heart. All of a sudden I just couldn’t take it anymore. This baby had to come out. I felt like I had really given him everything that I could offer for him to grow and be healthy, but him staying any longer than 38 weeks would just be selfishness from his side. My mind quickly recalled the incidents leading to the birth of Rofhiwa. I had actually done a few things to help him to see the light at the end of the tunnel and swim to it, I “naturally induced” my labor. Or at least that is what I thought because remember I am in control of my own body and I had taken time off to focus on channeling my mind and body to get the baby out before its due date.
So I decided to entertain myself by watching every “Naturally inducing labor” Youtube video ever uploaded on the internet. I am very certain that the developers of Youtube were planning on calling me just to inform me that they will pay some people for new content. I tried everything except for castor oil and would advise anyone reading this blog to speak to their doctor before attempting to induce labor.
How I tried to induce my labor.
- Pineapple: I decided to start with something healthy and less risky. Now, this momma only eats oranges, bananas, and grapes; but a girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do, right? So I ate a whole pineapple which only left me with a sore tongue. I did it because pineapples contain the enzyme bromelain, which is believed to soften the cervix and trigger contractions.
2. Red Raspberry leaf tea: Some people believe that this can also cause contractions but I took it hoping that it will shorten the second stage of labor, and it worked! It took me about 10 mins to push and my little one was out and on my chest. So you might not go into labor after your first or 10th cup, but you might be able to shorten your second labor so I would say this one is worth a try.
3. Spicy Food and Bananas: I didn’t mind trying these out. Spicy food is said to work like castor oil. It is supposed to irritate your intestines, which may cause cramping and contractions. I had hot wings and KFC’s Zinger and dunked wings, which usually irritates my intestines, but for some reason didn’t cause any harm in this instance. Bananas, my favorite fruit, has potassium which is crucial for muscle contractions. However, it is recommended to consume it in moderation and to consult a doctor before taking any potassium supplements. The only pain I felt after consuming these was from the horrible heartburn I got, nevertheless, I enjoyed every bite and would definitely use it as an excuse to have takeaways if I get pregnant again.
4. Squats, Lunges, Walking, and Bouncing on a yoga ball: At first, I was doing this just to stay active, but after week 38 I was intentionally going up and down like a crazy woman to get the baby out. My yoga ball became my chair and I would try to do lunges to get to around the house or to skip a step as I go up the stairs. The walks helped to keep me active, but this baby was way too stubborn, he was just too comfortable where he was.
5. Dancing and Swinging: I got to a point where I just decided that I was not gonna let December pass me by without having a little bit of fun… So I danced! I was there with my earphones in, doing the pouncing cat, like ‘ama 2000’ ( kids born in the year 2000) and I made e feel so good. For a moment I felt so sexy and ready to go flaunt my round and heavy body at some music festival, but unfortunately, that feeling would quickly fade away the minute I take the earphones out. Then I read that swinging on a swing also has the same effects as walking and dancing, so I saw it as a nice opportunity to take my sister to the park for a chat while swinging. Both these activities were supposed to help move the baby down, but as I’ve mentioned before, this kid was just too stubborn. So once again it was zero for inducing labor, however, the dancing definitely scored a 10/10 for fun!
6. Intercourse: I saved the best for last. Lol, I remember how a dear sister of mine ended the “ooh I can’t wait for this baby to come out” conversation with a naughty smile, advising me to hit the sack with daddy that evening. This one is for the ladies who still have a bit of sexiness and the willing spirit to get it on during those last days. The male sperm contains the hormone prostaglandin which can help to bring labor on. The exercise itself will also help you to relax and destress a bit. Well, all I can say is, “been there, done that, but unfortunately didn’t get the t-shirt.
I eventually just got tired of putting in the effort to try all these methods out after reading on how women swear by them, only to be disappointed when nothing happens. So I gave up! I guess I was just making peace with the sad reality of not being in control of my own body. As powerful as my mind is said to be, it was just not strong enough to convince this baby that the world out here is way better than the crammed sack he is living in. He was the boss of me, he decided when we sleep, what we should eat, and he was definitely not gonna demote himself to have me tell him when to come out.
These methods might not have worked for me, but there are a lot of women with success stories. My question is, what if it wasn’t because of your efforts? What if it was the baby’s time to get out? Is naturally inducing labor real or just a myth? Please let me know what you think in the comments.
Please Subscribe 😀